What problem(s) are you trying to solve?

- Subscribers already (or soon will) have CT logs and monitors available to
detect mis-issued certs. They don't need CAA Transparency.

- This thread started as a discussion over possible mis-issuance that was
determined to be false positives. As has been stated, without DNSSEC there
is no such thing as a coherent view of DNS and Ryan described a legitimate
example where a domain owner may consciously update CAA records briefly to
permit issuance. It's unclear to me how CAA Transparency could solve this
problem and thus provide a mechanism to confirm mis-issuance, if that is
the goal.

- The goal of reducing the risk of mis-issuance from well-behaved CAs who
have bad or manipulated CAA data seems most worthwhile to me. To Ryan's
point (I think), there may be better ways of achieving this one such as
requiring CAs to "gossip" CAA records, or requiring CAA checks be performed
from multiple network locations.

Wayne

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 2:00 PM, Tim Hollebeek via dev-security-policy <