Hi,

On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 11:01:10 -0800 (PST)
Ryan Sleevi via dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:

> I suppose this is both a question for policy and for Mozilla - given
> the ability to provide accurate-but-misleading information in EV
> certificates, and the effect it has on the URL bar (the lone trusted
> space for security information), has any consideration been given to
> removing or deprecating EV certificates?

I support the removal of special treatments and UI for EV
certificates.

Rationale: I believe plenty of security research shows that it is
incredibly hard to communicate security indicators to users. If you ask
average users about the meaning of green locks, green URL bars or
anything else they will usually not know what it means.

This lets only one sensible conclusion: Security indicators should be
removed. The goal should be to have one security level that is the
default (HTTPS+DV) and make that as secure as possible. The community
should therefore try to strengthen the CA ecosystem as a whole and not
try to make any "special" certificates.

--
Hanno Böck
https://hboeck.de/

mail/jabber: ha...@hboeck.de
GPG: FE73757FA60E4E21B937579FA5880072BBB51E42