On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 2:31 PM, Matthew Hardeman via dev-security-policy <

> (Reposting as I accidentally replied directly to OP ).
>
> Part of this discussion will necessarily have to include who the intended
> and potential beneficiaries of EV certificate status are:
>
> 1.  Is it the common web end user?  If so, EV either needs to go or be
> massively changed.
> 2.  Is it for the kind of person who could properly investigate corporate
> documents and structure AND would have some benefit in knowing that a given
> website is asserted by cryptographic signature to be affiliated to a given
> real world entity?  If so, few changes are needed but several could be
> helpful.

Agreed that these are potential goals, which is why I tried to provide a
specific and narrow set of questions, so that we can avoid ratholing on
those.

Specifically, I was asking about 1, as that is what comes from the UI
treatment. A conclusion of 2 implies the UI should go.

> 1.  Requirement in objective/mostly objective terms of notoriety of
> client.  High note-worthiness of EV applicant would be required.
> Validation procedures would modify to ensure that the commonly held "note
> worthy" entity is actually the one applying.

Naturally, this falls apart at "Internet scale"

> 2.  Stability of entity records.  The corporate structure is known and has
> been unchanged, perhaps for a year or more.  Effectively, no EV for
> startups or any new or restructured entity that can't show lengthly and
> broad claim to the name.

This seems to create a bifurcated Internet which is not "open and
accessible" (per Item 2 on the Mozilla Manifesto). Namely, if it favors or
empowers incumbents, and the only ability to be trusted by users is to 'sit
around' so you have a stable corporate identity, then we're not creating a
neutral, open platform.

> If EV status is intended for business, asset management, and legal
> professionals, then it's easier.  Add mandatory validated parameters for
> official registry from which the data was referenced (ex: Alabama Secretary
> of State, Corporations Division) as well as originally filed for
> registration (ex: State of AL, County of Jefferson Probate Court).  Give
> the docket or document numbers or entity registration number as appropriate
> for each of these.  Attempt to construe a scope of exclusivity and indicate
> that in lieu of just Country in the green bar.

The EV guidelines already encompass this information - the jurisdiction
fields, combined with the serialNumber, which is the unique identifying
number for that entity within the jurisdictional registry, which is unique
per jurisdictional boundary.