On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 4:24 PM, Doug Beattie <doug.beat...@globalsign.com>
wrote:

> Wayne,
>

> We didn’t really investigate wildcard issuance yet, but we can.
>

> Given the discuss so far, we’re planning to proceed with a whitelisting
> approach tomorrow and we will plan to end the use of Method 9 (schedule
> TBD) which follows Let’s Encrypt handling of Method 10.  If there are any
> additional security concerns that we need to be made aware of, please let
> me know and we can adjust the plan accordingly.

(Wearing a Google Hat)

Doug,

Thanks for sharing additional details. On the basis of what you've shared
so far, we do not believe this results in an appropriate level of security
for the ecosystem, and request that you do not re-enable issuance at this
time. This applies for any CA using methods similar to what you're using.

Broadly speaking,
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.security.policy/RHsIInIjJA0/HACyY9tMAAAJ
has shared the some of the principles we've used in this consideration. If
there is additional details that GlobalSign can share, related to those
principles, this would be invaluable.

This assessment is based on a number of factors, but includes:
- The validity period of certificates issued via this method means that
there is an unacceptably large window for certificates improperly issued to
be used.
- Based on the available information of expiration times and the potential
difficulty in renewing certificates using this method, the ecosystem risk
of disallowing this method is much less.
- The subtleties regarding Authorization Domain Names means that the risk
analysis provided is not sufficient - namely, it is unclear, as described,
whether it is possible to obtain a certificate for "www.example.com", on a
host that has a customer already configured on that domain (and
checking/enforcing certificates), by first applying for a certificate for "
example.com" as an attacker, providing and provisioning a test certificate
using that method (which is not configured to serve a certificate by the
'victim'), and then using that subsequent authorization of the
Authorization Domain Name to then apply for "www.example.com". Mitigating
this as a site operator would necessitate blocking not just on existant
domains, but also by the notion of Authorization Domain Name, and thus
represents a significant greater complexity in both assessing compliance
(for those on the whitelist) and for minimizing risk.
- The potential risk in maintaining this whitelist, given both the
statements provided by plans to move to deprecate this method post-haste
(e.g. no such plans) and the validity period of issued certificates (up to
39 months or, soon, 825 days).
- The lack of preexisting review and documentation of the specific protocol
being employed
- The potential risk of both domain name wildcards and of wildcard
issuance, which remains

While it is possible that you may be correct that the underlying root cause
of TLS-SNI presents greater risk, compared to this method, the many
mitigating factors that influenced our decision are not applicable here.

As this thread shows, we anticipate we will continue to find variants of
risk, and thus the whitelist approach, combined with the validity periods
caused by the risk (both of issued certificates and "completed
validations"), poses a long-term risk, even if we catch issues 'within
days'.

We'd like to continue discussing with GlobalSign and the community as to
the risk posed by immediately and permanently disabling this method, as
well as possible mitigations to the risk - both through issuance policies
of GlobalSign and technical measures in the usage - that may permit its
usage for a short-time to transition this method away. This is a
conversation we look forward to having over the next week. In the interim,
we'd ask you not re-enable this method.