On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 4:40 PM, Doug Beattie <doug.beat...@globalsign.com>
wrote:

> [...]

No, it's not sufficient.

The failure mode unfortunately necessarily includes a failure by GlobalSign
process and/or personnel, and in that failure mode, there are further no
mitigating factors.

- If GlobalSign adds a vulnerable entity to their whitelist
  - The certificates issued will be valid for 1-3 years, leaving only the
(broken) revocation system as recourse
  - There is no step organizations can take to pre-emptively mitigate the
risk of GlobalSign adding to the whitelist (compared to, say, blocking
.invalid)
  - There is no ability for site operators to detect such situations. A
consideration, not listed within the full set when discussing Let's Encrypt
and the ACME TLS-SNI method, is that we have at least public commitment by
Let's Encrypt and demonstrated evidence of sustained/long-term compliance
with publicly disclosing all issued certificates ( as noted in
https://letsencrypt.org/certificates/ ). While I realize you've offered to
do so, I can find no evidence of GlobalSign doing so by default, and so
this further adds to the risk calculus of a commitment to do something not
yet practice and thus not yet consistently, reliably delivered on.

There is not, in our view, reason to accept this significantly greater
(holistically considered) risk.

We're open to understanding whether GlobalSign has additional proposals how
to mitigate this risk, given the set of concerns expressed - technical
measures and policy measures. These may provide a path to allowing such
issuance in the future, but we don't think that, given the holistic risk
assessment, it's appropriate to allow it to immediately resume. We are keen
to find solutions that work, as we understand that these can enable
powerful new use cases, but we want to balance that with the risk posed.

I would encourage GlobalSign to consult Sections 3.2.2.4 and 3.2.2.5 to see
if there are any other alternative methods to validating that might
represent an appropriate balance. Given that these are posed as automated
certificates, there seem that other methods may be suitable for the
issuance of Domain Validated certificates - or, with care, Organizational
Validated. If it truly is that none of these other methods (outside
3.2.2.4.9 and .10, and understandably the in-discussion-for-removal .1 and
.5), are there steps that can be taken that provide concrete technical
mitigations (ideally, through an opt-in technical signal by the site
operator) that can reduce or eliminate this risk? Are there steps that can
be taken with policy to similarly address the concerns?

It's not that this is an unsolvable problem, but it's necessary to make
further changes to mitigate and minimize the risk, and some of the major
factors that contribute to that assessment have been shared.