From: Ryan Sleevi [mailto:r...@sleevi.com]
Sent: Monday, January 15, 2018 4:14 PM
To: Doug Beattie <doug.beat...@globalsign.com>
Cc: r...@sleevi.com; mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org; Gervase
Markham <g...@mozilla.org>; Wayne Thayer <wtha...@mozilla.com>
Subject: Re: Possible Issue with Domain Validation Method 9 in a shared hosting
environment

On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 3:36 PM, Doug Beattie via dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org<mailto:dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org>>
 wrote:
Ryan,

I’m not sure where we go from here.

As suggested, we encourage you to work on devising technical mitigations or
alternative methods of validating such certificates that can meet the use case.
We don't think that, as described, the OneClick method meets the necessary
level of assurance, nor do the necessary level of mitigating factors exist, to
consider such certificates trustworthy.

Ryan – I’m at a loss.  The security threat is that a user can request a
certificate for a domain they don’t own from hosting companies that permit SNI
mappings to domains the user doesn’t own or control.  This permits them to pass
validation for a domain they don’t control that is on the same IP address as
their legitimate site (or at least to which they have this level of SNI
control).  We will verify that our OneClick customers will request certificates
for domains the hosting company is actively managing for their users and not
permit malicious actions (much like LE verifying that their hosting companies
do not permit “acme.invalid” domains to be used).  This eliminates the problems
of SNI being used as an avenue for domain validation for malicious actors.  Is
this not sufficient for some reason?

Surely you agree that within non-shared hosting environments OneClick is not
vulnerable and can be used.

We have customers that need certificates and they have demonstrated they can
comply with not permitting the creation and use of certificates for domains
other than those that the hosting company is hosting for that customer.  All
certificates will continue to be posted to CT logs.

While understanding and sensitive to this, what you're asking is that, on the
basis of an abstract need, that known-insecure methods be used, with the
assurance that the CA has taken steps (which are fundamentally
non-interoperable) to mitigate, and for which an improper decision by a CA has
no further mitigating factors. This does not provide a sufficient level of
assurance to permit its continued use.

As far as the wildcard question, when someone asks for a wildcard cert for a
domain like *.us.example.com<http://us.example.com>, we validate on that minus
the * (so, us.example.com<http://us.example.com> in this case).

I'm afraid you're still missing the point of FQDN versus Authorization Domain
Name. This further does not instill confidence that it's fully been described.
We’re using us.example.com as the ADN for validation in this example. We always
use the FQDN minus “*.” For the ADN.

We’d like to move forward with issuing certificates with controls in place.

I'm sorry, but at present, we do not feel it is in the appropriate interests of
users, sites, or the ecosystem to permit this.

If there are any other controls you need us to implement to resume issuance,
let us know.  For example, if we limit validity to 1 year (possibly up to 15
months) and if we put a firm end date for OneClick for July 1, 2018, would that
suffice?

As stated, we believe 90 days is an appropriate and necessary upper-bound for
such certificates.