From: Alex Gaynor [mailto:agay...@mozilla.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 8:15 AM
To: Tim Hollebeek <tim.holleb...@digicert.com>
Cc: Paul Kehrer <paul.l.keh...@gmail.com>;
mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org
Subject: Re: Misissuance/non-compliance remediation timelines

Hey Tim,

A piece I think I'm missing is what you see as the incentive for CAs to aim for
an "A" rather than being happy to have a "B". It reminds me of the old joke:
What do you call the Dr^W CA who graduated with a C average? Dr.^W trusted to
assert www-wide identity :-)

That said, given the issues Paul highlighted in his original mail (which I
wholeheartedly concur with), it seems the place to focus is the folks who are
getting Ds right now. Therefore I think the essential part of your email is
your agreement that CAs which are persistently low performing need to be
recognized and potentially penalized for the sum total of their behaviors.

Alex

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 8:30 PM, Tim Hollebeek via dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org
<mailto:dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> > wrote:

Paul,

I understand your frustration.  I've read some of the recent threads about
"how long does it take to update a CPS?" and clearly there needs to be
some stronger compliance language in either the BRs or Mozilla policy
("CAs MUST be able to update their CPS within 90 days").  And as you note
such policies need to have teeth otherwise there will be some who will
just ignore them.

However  negative penalties are not the only thing that should be
considered.
Mozilla should also have some way of recognizing CAs that are performing
above and beyond the minimum requirements.  I would love to see Mozilla
encourage CAs to compete to be the best CA in Mozilla's program.

To satisfy both goals, I'd like to suggest an idea I've had for a while: at
some
point in time (annually?), Mozilla should assess their opinion of how well
each CA in the program is performing, and give them a letter grade.  This
could include policy improvements like "Two consecutive failing grades,
or three consecutive C or lower grades and you're out of the Mozilla
program."

This would not preclude other actions as Mozilla deems necessary.  But it
would provide a regular checkpoint for CAs to understand either "Hey,
you're great, keep up the good work!" or "Meh, we think you're ok." or
"Your performance to date is unacceptable.  Get your sh*t together or
you're gone."

-Tim

Mozilla,