On February 9, 2018 at 1:24:12 AM, Wayne Thayer (wtha...@mozilla.com) wrote:

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 6:03 PM, Paul Kehrer via dev-security-policy <

> So, how long is too long?

This is the crux of the issue for me. If a CA (that really should have
stopped responding 'good' for unknown certs back in 2013) needs to select,
purchase, and deploy an entirely new OCSP system, is 5 months a really long
time? From their perspective, probably not.

I agree that from their perspective that's a short period of time. However,
I strongly believe that asking the public to bear the burden of a CA's own
incompetence is, while historically what has been done, not tenable moving
forward. In the specific case of the OCSP issues I question why we should
give CAs half a year to remediate a fault that had already been a
requirement for 4 years when it was discovered. In many ways a CA's primary
job is knowing and following the rules, so why are we giving CAs who fail
in such colossal fashion a free pass?

I don't believe there is a standard answer to this question that can apply
to a whole class of issues, but I do think we could do a better job of
communicating our expectations when a situation like this arises by making
a statement such as 'being a CA that has been granted the public's trust,
Mozilla expects problem X to be resolved in Y days'. Responsible CAs will
meet the deadline and thus distinguish themselves from CAs that simply
aren't taking the problem seriously.

If Mozilla provides a deadline and a CA misses it, what's the penalty?

I believe a graduated notion of penalties and risk mitigation would make it
easier for Mozilla to push CAs. If the only penalty is distrust then
"little" things like a slow but steady trickle of misissued certificates,
operating your OCSP responder out of compliance for 4 years, or failing to
get a BR audit for 3 years after they became required never rise to the
level of a distrust conversation. If, on the other hand, there exists a set
of penalty tiers a CA can be placed on that path relatively quickly.
Instead of a "sudden" (from the perspective of the CA or subscribers who
aren't engaged with policy discussions on mdsp) distrust thread, there is
an escalation that makes everyone aware of a CA's need to shape up.

-Paul