On Sat, Apr 14, 2018 at 8:58 AM Peter Gutmann via dev-security-policy <

> Jakob Bohm via dev-security-policy <dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org>
> writes:
>
> >It's like a fire drill where the mayor "pretends" that an old school
> building
> >is on fire, and the firemen then proceed to evacuate the building and
> douse
> >it in enough water to put out a real fire.
>
> Well, not quite: It's like a fire drill where the mayor "pretends" that an
> old
> school building is on fire, and the firemen then look at the burning
> building
> and say "that's all burning according to the baseline requirements,
> everything
> appears to be in order" and leave again.  In the meantime the building
> burns
> to the ground.

Well, not quite. It’s like when someone complains when a hammer makes a
lousy screwdriver, acting aghast that a hardware shop would threaten their
bottom line by selling hammers, despite being told repeatedly that hammers
are lousy screwdrivers and would not be useful for screwing screws in.

Then a passerby comes along talking about how hammers are broken by design,
because they can’t be used to screw in screws, blissfully ignoring how much
can be built with nails, and how effective hammers are for that. In the
meantime, people who understand hammers are for nails are happily building
structures that everyone can use, while random passerby’s continue to
insist from the sidelines that hammers work better as screwdrivers, but
don’t actually pitch in to help out (and to realize what lousy screwdrivers
they make).

Admittedly, it doesn’t help that some hammer manufacturers have tried to
promote themselves as the world’s best screwdriver, or suggesting that you
can’t screw something in without also having a hammer, but those sorts of
selfishly ignorant manufacturers should be rightfully derided, not heralded
as visionaries by the “hammers-are-screwdrivers” crowd.

Hopefully we can agree anecdotes and metaphors aren’t productive techniques
now :-)
              • ... James Burton via dev-security-policy
              • ... okaphone.elektronika--- via dev-security-policy
              • ... okaphone.elektronika--- via dev-security-policy
              • ... Jakob Bohm via dev-security-policy
              • ... James Burton via dev-security-policy
              • ... Jakob Bohm via dev-security-policy
              • ... Ryan Sleevi via dev-security-policy
              • ... Jakob Bohm via dev-security-policy
              • ... Alex Gaynor via dev-security-policy
              • ... Peter Gutmann via dev-security-policy
              • ... Ryan Sleevi via dev-security-policy
              • ... Jakob Bohm via dev-security-policy
              • ... Matthew Hardeman via dev-security-policy
              • ... Matt Palmer via dev-security-policy
      • Re: Sigh. stripe.... Alex Gaynor via dev-security-policy
  • Re: Sigh. stripe.ian.sh b... Ian Carroll via dev-security-policy
  • Re: Sigh. stripe.ian.sh b... Peter Bachman via dev-security-policy