On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 12:24 AM, Jakob Bohm via dev-security-policy <

> On 17/04/2018 00:13, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
>
>> If you expect that, you're absolutely wrong for expecting that, because
>> that's not what a High Risk Request is.
>>

> I am not the only one with that expectation.  In the concrete case the
> expectation was succinctly stated by Mathew in Message-ID
> mailman.312.1523571519.2176.dev-security-policy at lists.mozilla.org as

And someone else is wrong on the Internet. That doesn't make it any more
correct or reasonable assumption, no more than if you and I both agreed we
deserved to be paid $1 million a year by CAs for exchanging emails on this
list.

> The definition is in section 1.6.1 of the BRs and does not limit itself
> to blacklisted site names.

Nor does it require blacklisted site names. That's the point. It's
describing illustrative, not normative, examples of a process, not an exact
output. That is hugely meaningful in explaining why your expectations have
no basis in the requirements - nor, for that matter, are desirable.

>>> But just to please your pedantry, I will add two additional outcome
>>>
>>> -1. Thay CA does not really check for high risk names at all.  This
>>>    might be permitted by some readings of BR 4.2.1 / Ballot 78.
>>>

>> It absolutely is permitted, and not a negative. Your expectations are
>> wrong, and you should adjust them, because they're not based in reality.
>>

> BR 4.2.1 is a SHALL, not a SHOULD.

Yes - that you have a process. It does define the process for what
quantifies as that high risk in any form of MUST/SHALL language. I can say
high-risk requests are anything received via an InterPlanetaryNetwork (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interplanetary_Internet ) and that is fully
conforment - and in line with expectations. The notion of "High-risk" is
fundamentally at the definition of the CA - what the objectives of
certificates are, from the CAs view. Thankfully, there are competent CAs
that recognize that certificates are not a phishing mitigation, and treat
"risk" as an operational risk category (or, to sate some of the frothing
masses, a PR risk), since there fundamentally is not some enhanced
'phishing' risk from certifying a domain.

> Weak is a common security term and a common English term with similar
> meaning in both contexts.

This is patently false.

> The question asked by Matthew and me, and which you keep blocking, is if
> jomo has publicly disclosed a case in which that CA's procedures
> accidentally fail to achieve that CA's security goals for those
> procedures.  This is a perfectly normally vulnerability issue
> investigation, which jomo (not I) made public 4 days ago.

No, this is not. Because you're hinging on a flawed understanding of what
you're asking, a flawed set of expectations, Matthew is working from a
flawed sense of angst, which all are rooted in an improper understanding of
the BRs or the goals of certificates, and for which the notion of "security
goals" is clearly one you Have Opinions about, but those opinions are not
in line with industry best practice or stated CA goals. So your questioning
is not whether the CA has failed to achieve their goals, but whether
they've failed to achieve your goals, and that's very much a nonsequitur
with no basis in the actual goals of certificates.