That is correct. We use transliteration of non-latin names through a system
recognized by ISO per Appendix D(1)(3)

-----Original Message-----
From: dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy-bounces+jeremy.rowley=digicert....@lists.mozilla.org>
On Behalf Of cbonnell--- via dev-security-policy
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 7:12 AM
To: mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org
Subject: Re: Transforming a trade name into ASCII in the O field of an OV
cert

On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 3:34:38 PM UTC-4, Wayne Thayer wrote:
> [...]
> > presently acceptable to only include this documentation in
> > information provided to the auditors.
> >

> > > Second, while verifying that the applicant indeed represents a
> > > specific real organization is a difficult problem, in the case
> > > where the country that the certificate designates operates an
> > > online-queryable database of registered businesses, associations,
> > > etc., it should be entirely feasible to eliminate the failure mode
> > > where the certificate's organization field is (absent documented
> > > transformations permitted under the Baseline Requirements) not
> > > canonically equivalent (in the Unicode sense) to the name of any
> > > organization registered in the country that the certificates
> > > designates. That (inferring from the certificate for
> > > www.alandsbanken.fi) there isn't technical process that would by
> > > necessity remove diacritical marks from the organization field and
> > > that the certificate for www.saastopankki.fi has them removed is
> > > strongly suggestive that DigiCert's process for validating
> > > Finland-based organization does not include as a mandatory part
> > > either the retrieval of the organization's name via an online API
> > > to the business registry or a human CA representative copying and
> > > pasting the organization's name from a browser view to the business
registry.

> > The Baseline Requirements do not dictate the datasource used in
> > various jurisdictions. Thus even when there is a canonical source
> > through legislation, the BRs do not require its use.
> >

> > >  I wonder: When a given country
> >
> > has an online-queryable business registry, why isn't it either
> > > recommended or required to import names digitally from the
> > > business registry into certificates? Such practice would eliminate
> > > the failure mode of the certificate designating a name that
> > > doesn't match any entry in the business registry for such country.
> > > (Obviously, if it was _required_, the BRs would need to include a
> > > list of countries whose business registry is considered
> > > online-queryable in the sense that the requirement would apply,
> > > but unwillingness to maintain such a list does not explain why it
> > > isn't even recommended.)
> > >

> > "Recommended" is pointless. Required is the only thing that makes
> > sense, and the complexities and overhead involved precisely explain
> > why it isn't required.
> > -faQX5l0PY=?d=0s1t1MPwIPG9XkHuYF2WEA8S7E5P0how6g9pm8AbMsID3Vu4VG4b4d
> > cVTpsXAtxoPHgF9wjrujQ0OOr4Qn6NNec-jNZYeJoVX5m6FtONVBOqnpptVuxrSnbzbN
> > mjtVrSrgW9MjFpB_PV_GA0a6d9CDPW00YSAN5s19pKxQFY4khaGT4tGsNBPV82wJ57B-
> > 0V-gd5e-1RY-WPPfqqiSVefSEHM3CbmoTYvMcDfItqF15BC0QZabSo1qReVcnLtpkA07
> > NalO1afKP9pBC8NHIaF2qytDuUbZ-0_7wZVecDePdhfK4ghowJT_2N6v2KHnCG1cElhU
> > 822SsjxhXhwrQTBMTCLXhqVFTQqZtfPfRLDYzl0PcS-PLbsh2A96Dr_Y2gQ_rxoeIKIc
> > z5ln_0I189aAACvwnBtEFieiU0dIZxR3_s0ZN8Zp7MAS_0DY8i7xp0YGMCEiaC-X0rpJ
> > 5VXKItovyxmoIN7_63_vr5ObrP47_KLALVV-eG2OCX&u=https%3A%2F%2Flists.moz
> > illa.org%2Flistinfo%2Fdev-security-policy

Appendix D of the EV Guidelines
(https://clicktime.symantec.com/a/1/k5LVvsTsn1aOD8kIgUl5TxWF-s1BWAyIy_p_gHjK
8OE=?d=0s1t1MPwIPG9XkHuYF2WEA8S7E5P0how6g9pm8AbMsID3Vu4VG4b4dcVTpsXAtxoPHgF9
wjrujQ0OOr4Qn6NNec-jNZYeJoVX5m6FtONVBOqnpptVuxrSnbzbNmjtVrSrgW9MjFpB_PV_GA0a
6d9CDPW00YSAN5s19pKxQFY4khaGT4tGsNBPV82wJ57B-0V-gd5e-1RY-WPPfqqiSVefSEHM3Cbm
oTYvMcDfItqF15BC0QZabSo1qReVcnLtpkA07NalO1afKP9pBC8NHIaF2qytDuUbZ-0_7wZVecDe
PdhfK4ghowJT_2N6v2KHnCG1cElhU822SsjxhXhwrQTBMTCLXhqVFTQqZtfPfRLDYzl0PcS-PLbs
h2A96Dr_Y2gQ_rxoeIKIcz5ln_0I189aAACvwnBtEFieiU0dIZxR3_s0ZN8Zp7MAS_0DY8i7xp0Y
GMCEiaC-X0rpJ5VXKItovyxmoIN7_63_vr5ObrP47_KLALVV-eG2OCX&u=https%3A%2F%2Fcabf
orum.org%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2FCA-Browser-Forum-EV-Guidelines-v1.6.8.pdf)
describes additional allowances for the Organization Name to be written with
Latin letters. Section 1.2 of Appendix D is especially relevant here, as it
appears that the organization names that are mentioned by Henri are
transliterations of the original Finnish names.