On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 11:03 PM, cbonnell--- via dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at 4:33:24 PM UTC-4, Henri Sivonen wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 10:18 PM, Jeremy Rowley via
>> dev-security-policy <dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:
>> > That is correct. We use transliteration of non-latin names through a system
>> > recognized by ISO per Appendix D(1)(3)
>>
>> But "Säästöpankkiliitto osk" is not a non-Latin name! (It is a
>> non-ASCII name.) Also, no such transliteration is applied to
>> "Ålandsbanken Abp", so evidently there's no technical necessity for
>> transforming the name.
>>
>> Clearly, D(1) does not apply (the name is not non-Latin). D(2) doesn't
>> make sense (it doesn't make sense to Romanize a Latin-script name).
>> D(3) is about *translated* names (the organization has translated
>> names [in Swedish and in English], but the name on the certificate is
>> neither of those).
>>
>> --
>> Henri Sivonen
>> hsivo...@hsivonen.fi
>> https://hsivonen.fi/
>
> Although the EV Guidelines don’t explicitly state this, I think it’s
> reasonable to interpret the EV Guidelines’s use of “Latin characters” as the
> characters comprising the ISO basic Latin alphabet
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO basic Latin_alphabet) or the characters in
> the Basic Latin Unicode Block
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_Latin_(Unicode_block)).

That's not at all clear from the text of the document. If the document
means Basic Latin, it ought to say so instead of saying Latin.

> Since the original Organization Name contains characters outside that
> alphabet/code block, it is reasonable to interpret Appendix D as being
> applicable to these Finnish organization names.

Is there a system with higher priority than a lawyer or accountant
asserting things that meets the criteria under D 1. (2) and results in
the transformation that's seen in the certificate?

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivo...@hsivonen.fi