On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 1:25 PM Carl Mehner via dev-security-policy <

> Hey Doug,
>
> On Friday, May 4, 2018 at 3:00:03 PM UTC-5, Doug Beattie wrote:
> > Hey Wayne,
> >
> > This should be a really easy thing, but it's not.
> >
> > First comments on this: "MUST be encrypted and signed; or, MUST have a
> password that..."
> > - Isn't the password the key used for encryption?  I'm not sure if the
> "or" makes sense since in both cases the password is the key for encryption
>
> The password is used through a round of hashes (or a pbkdf, depending on
> the algorithm) to create a set of bits that are used as a key. (see
> paragraph 6 here: https://www.cem.me/20150315-cert-binaries-6.html)
>
> > - In general, I don't think PKCS#12 files are signed, so I'd leave that
> out, a signature isn't necessary.  I could be wrong...
>
> That goes back to Ryan's comment here:
>
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.security.policy/SYC0d1YgXtI/slRunsYbAgAJ
> "PKCS#12 supports both symmetric and asymmetric key based protection also."

Yes, that is the intent. If my wording is poor, please suggest improvements.

> > I'd still like to see a modification on the requirement: "password MUST
> be transferred using a different channel than the PKCS#12 file".  A user
> should be able to download the P12 and password via HTTP.  Can we add an
> exception for that?

I'd like to hear from others who think this is needed.

> What about "or a user supplied password"?

Doesn't the current language already permit this? It does make sense if
you're suggesting it to Doug as a workaround.