Hello,
this question is somewhat outside the current Baseline Requirements, but...

wouldn't it be normal for the same CAA rules for server certificates to also
apply to client certificates when the email address is for a domain that
already has a valid CAA policy published in DNS?

RFC 6844 doesn't seem to make any distinction between server and S/MIME client
certificates, it combines them together by referring to certificates "for that
domain" as a whole.

i tested this last night - i obtained an email certificate from one of the CAs
participating here (not for this exact address though) and it was happily
issued even if CAA records authenticated by DNSSEC do not allow their CA to
issue for this domain.

Now, this is technically not a mis-issuance because it was a proper
email-validated address and their CPS says that CAA is only checked for
server-type certificates. It doesn't say anything about CAA validation for such
client certificates.

I got in touch with them and they seemed equally surprised by such intended use
case for CAA, so my second question is: is anyone actually checking CAA records
for client certificates where an email address is included in the certificate
subject info and the EKU includes Secure Email?

Or is CAA usually checked only for server-type certificates, even if RFC 6844
refers to certificates "for that domain" as a whole?

Thank you,
~~~~
Adrian R.