On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 11:47 AM, Adrian R. via dev-security-policy <

> Hello,
> this question is somewhat outside the current Baseline Requirements, but...
>
> wouldn't it be normal for the same CAA rules for server certificates to
> also apply to client certificates when the email address is for a domain
> that already has a valid CAA policy published in DNS?
>

> RFC 6844 doesn't seem to make any distinction between server and S/MIME
> client certificates, it combines them together by referring to certificates
> "for that domain" as a whole.
>

> i tested this last night - i obtained an email certificate from one of the
> CAs participating here (not for this exact address though) and it was
> happily issued even if CAA records authenticated by DNSSEC do not allow
> their CA to issue for this domain.
>
> Now, this is technically not a mis-issuance because it was a proper
> email-validated address and their CPS says that CAA is only checked for
> server-type certificates. It doesn't say anything about CAA validation for
> such client certificates.
>
> I got in touch with them and they seemed equally surprised by such
> intended use case for CAA, so my second question is: is anyone actually
> checking CAA records for client certificates where an email address is
> included in the certificate subject info and the EKU includes Secure Email?
>

> Or is CAA usually checked only for server-type certificates, even if RFC
> 6844 refers to certificates "for that domain" as a whole?

CAs are generally only checking CAA when they're required to in order to be
trusted.

Right now, CAs are only required to check CAA for server-type certificates
(by virtue of the Baseline Requirements Section 3.2.2.8).
CAs are not presently being required to check CAA for e-mail. They can, but
they are required to do it, so they are unlikely to do it.