But it also seems reasonable for organisations making CAA assertions to know
the scope of their stipulations before they make them, no?

So, if in the case of Yahoo, they make the assertion “All of our web
certificates should come from DigiCert”, are they aware that they are also
making the statement “And all of our user mail accounts should only be granted
S/MIME certificates from DigiCert too”.

Perhaps they are, perhaps not, but I’m willing to bet that a fair number of
Yahoo accounts have S/MIME certificates not issued by DigiCert - a shift to
CAA-S/MIME enforcement could cause some unwelcome disruption to Yahoo’s
customers.

Please note: I’m not opposed to CAA stipulations applying to S/MIME. I would
just want all participants in the PKI world to know what their statements mean
and how far they reach.

Since the syntax of CAA is extensible, perhaps ‘issue’ could indeed be
restricted to TLS certificates, and a newer tag ‘issueall’ be taken to mean
‘covering all possible forms of certificates’?

Just a thought,

Neil