On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 1:10 PM, Tim Hollebeek via dev-security-policy <

> Yes, but as you correctly point out, this should be taken care of as part
> of the CAA-bis
> effort.  The original RFC had enough errors with respect to web
> certificates; I think
> it would be irresponsible to apply it to e-mail certificates right now
> without carefully
> considering the consequences.
>
> With CABF governance reform coming into effect on July 3rd, I'm cautiously
> optimistic
> we can start writing requirements for e-mail certificates and phasing out
> bad practices
> and phasing in good practices soon.  CAA for e-mail certificates is
> definitely worth
> considering as part of that process.

Isn't this an IETF issue? Shouldn't those who issue e-mail certificates
begin looking at the level of authentication provided for domains today?

> Slightly higher priority is making sure authenticated encryption modes are
> used with
> S/MIME, so people can't play silly games with CBC and harvested
> ciphertexts.
> Everything really needs to start transitioning away from CBC ... but I
> digress.

Indeed, it would be extremely unfortunate if the CABF tried to prioritize
the encryption modes over reliable certificate authentication, considering
that the encryption modes are not related to the certificates themselves.