I'm not sure how that's advancing the discussion forward or adding new
information. The discussion of CAA and wanting to get feedback predates
even the IETF finalization, as multiple browsers kept encouraging CAs to
experiment with and attempt to deploy CAA so that we could make sure the
kinks were ironed out.

Regardless of posturing and grandstanding for past statements, can we at
least agree that a model that argues "fail open" as a solution is a
fundamentally insecure one? If there are proponents of a 'fail open' model,
especially amongst CAs, then does it behove them to specify as quickly as
possible a 'fail closed' model, so that we don't have to try and divine
intent and second guess site operators as to whether they meant to restrict
HTTPS or everything?

Put differently, if you want to argue that CAA is HTTPS only, then you need
to define a way to ensure it's not HTTPS-only, and ASAP. Otherwise, the
solution is that when S/MIME BRs come around, we simply cannot and should
not second guess site operators and try to argue CAA was only 'those' type
of certs - and instead require anyone with a CAA record to explicitly
opt-in to allowing (potentially unbounded) S/MIME. I don't see any other
realistic or practical solution - you can't say "This protects you" and
then propose 2 years down the road, with S/MIME BRs, that it didn't
actually 'protect' the site operator - the same way you can't say "Restrict
access to these five email addresses" and then introduce a dozen more 2
years down the road.

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 11:07 PM, Tim Hollebeek via dev-security-policy <