From: Ryan Sleevi [mailto:r...@sleevi.com]
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2018 8:24 PM
To: Tim Hollebeek <tim.holleb...@digicert.com>
Cc: r...@sleevi.com; Pedro Fuentes <pfuente...@gmail.com>;
mozilla-dev-security-policy <mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org>
Subject: Re: question about DNS CAA and S/MIME certificates

I don't actually think there is any IETF component to this. There can be, but
it's not required to be.

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 6:20 PM, Tim Hollebeek via dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org
<mailto:dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> > wrote:

There’s an IETF component, but minimum necessary standards for email
certificate issuance is a policy issue, not a technical one.

Somewhere, it needs to say “CAs issuing e-mail certificates MUST check CAA in
accordance with CAA-bis.”

-Tim

With CABF governance reform coming into effect on July 3rd, I'm cautiously
optimistic
we can start writing requirements for e-mail certificates and phasing out bad
practices
and phasing in good practices soon.  CAA for e-mail certificates is definitely
worth
considering as part of that process.

Isn't this an IETF issue? Shouldn't those who issue e-mail certificates begin
looking at the level of authentication provided for domains today?