I'm coming to the conclusion that this discussion is about "security
theater"[1]. As long as we allow CAs to generate S/MIME key pairs, there
are gaping holes in the PKCS#12 requirements, the most obvious being that a
CA can just transfer the private key to the user in pem format! Are there
any objections to dropping the PKCS#12 requirements altogether and just
forbidding key generation for TLS certificates as follows?

CAs MUST NOT generate the key pairs for end-entity certificates that have
an EKU extension containing the KeyPurposeIds id-kp-serverAuth or
anyExtendedKeyUsage.

- Wayne

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_theater