On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 11:50 AM Doug Beattie via dev-security-policy <

> I hope some other CAs weigh in in this: Robin, Bruce, Jeremy, Daymion,
> Dean???
> - We can’t permit user generated passwords (at least that is Tim's
> proposal, Wayne may not agree yet but he will when he reads this email)
> - We can’t distribute both the password and PKCS#12 over the same channel,
> even if it's a secure channel like HTTPS
>
> We have 2 choices for where the password is generated: CA or User

Or the user could generate the key :-)

> 1) If we require CAs to generate the passwords and they can’t distribute
> the necessary information to the end user via the portal over TLS (because
> of the dual channel requirement), then that is a relatively large impact on
> us, and probably anyone else that supports PKCS#12 file formats.  If the
> channel is secure, do you need to use different channels?
>

> 2) Trying to compute the entropy of a user generated password is  nearly
> impossible.  According to NIST Special Publication 800-63, a good 20
> character password will have just 48 bits of entropy, and characters after
> that only add 1 bite of entropy each.  User stink at generating Entropy
> (right Tim?)
>
> NIST Special Publication 800-63 of June 2004 (revision 2) suggested the
> following scheme to roughly estimate the entropy of human-generated
> passwords (Subsequent updates of this publication gave up trying to compute
> entropy for user generated passwords, and when they talk about entropy they
> talk about 20 bits max):
> •       The entropy of the first character is four bits;
> •       The entropy of the next seven characters are two bits per
> character;
> •       The ninth through the twentieth character has 1.5 bits of entropy
> per character;
> •       Characters 21 and above have one bit of entropy per character.
> •       A "bonus" of six bits is added if both upper case letters and
> non-alphabetic characters are used.
> •       A "bonus" of six bits is added for passwords of length 1 through
> 19 characters following an extensive dictionary check to ensure the
> password is not contained within a large dictionary. Passwords of 20
> characters or more do not receive this bonus because it is assumed they are
> pass-phrases consisting of multiple dictionary words.
>
> https://pages.nist.gov/800-63-3/
>
> Some CAs are probably asking the user for a password during the request
> thus there is no need to distribute it later.  But, if the Applicant
> provides the password over HTTPS and then later the CA provides the PKCS#12
> via download link and they obtain it via HTTPS, is that a single channel
> that they were both distributed over?
>
> I still object to not being able to use HTTPS for collection and/or
> distribution of the Password and the PKCS#12.  I also believe 112 bits of
> entropy is way too much for user generated password (assuming we want to
> continue supporting that option).
>
> Perhaps the following language is a workable solution to the first
objection?

PKCS#12 files must employ an encryption key and algorithm that is
sufficiently strong to protect the key pair for its useful life based on
current guidelines published by a recognized standards body. PKCS#12 files
MUST be encrypted and signed; or, MUST have a password that exhibits at
least 112 bits of entropy, and the password MUST be transmitted via a
secure channel.

I really don't seem a benefit to user generation of these passwords -
either they are weak and memorable, or sufficiently complicated that
there's little value in being able to choose it.

Doug