RFC 3647 disagrees:

"Rather, a particular CP or CPS may state "no stipulation" for a component,
 subcomponent, or element on which the particular CP or CPS imposes no
 requirements or makes no disclosure."

" It is recommended that each and every component and subcomponent be
   included in a CP or CPS, even if there is "no stipulation"; this will
   indicate to the reader that a conscious decision was made to include
   or exclude a provision concerning that topic.  This drafting style
   protects against inadvertent omission of a topic, while facilitating
   comparison of different certificate policies or CPSs, e.g., when
   making policy mapping decisions."

-Tim

The
> CPS should instead state whether or not they implement anything in
response
> to that section or if they consider that section Not Applicable because
there
> are no stated requirements.
>
> It can mean slightly different things in different sections so for example
> 1.3.5 Other Participants - I would expect the CPS to list what other
> participants might be involved Where as
> 3.1.5 Uniqueness of Names - I would expect the CPS to state whether or not
> they enforce Uniqueness of names and if they do - how this is enforced In
> TLS CP/CPS that adheres to the BRs, I would expect the CPS to clearly
state
> which of the validation methods is supported and how, where the CP may
> leave this up to individual subordinate CAs by having No Stipulation at
the CP
> level.  For these sections I would expect the CPS to either state the
method is
> not supported or it is and how.  "Not applicable" would not be
appropriate.

> Thanks, (just my personal opinion)
>
> Wendy Brown
> Protiviti Government Services
> 703-299-4705 (office)    703-965-2990 (cell)
>
> wendy.br...@protiviti.com
>

> -----------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2018 09:48:26 -0700
> From: Kathleen Wilson <kwil...@mozilla.com>
> To: mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org
> Subject: What does "No Stipulation" mean, and when is it OK to use it in
> CP/CPS?
>
> All,
>
> I would like to create some written rules about using "No Stipulation"
> in CP and CPS documents; e.g. what it means, and when it is OK to be used.
>
> First, I will appreciate your thoughts about what the term "No
Stipulation"
> [...]
> stipulation.
> 4.7.6 Publication of the Re-keyed Certificate by the CA No stipulation.
> 4.7.7 Notification of Certificate Issuance by the CA to Other Entities No
> stipulation.
> 4.9.8 Maximum Latency for CRLs
> No stipulation.
> 4.9.13 Circumstances for Suspension
> No stipulation.
> 4.9.14 Who Can Request Suspension
> No stipulation.
> 4.9.15 Procedure for Suspension Request
> No stipulation.
> 4.9.16 Limits on Suspension Period
> No stipulation.
> 4.12 Key Escrow and Recovery
> No stipulation.
> 4.12.1 Key Escrow and recovery Policy Practices No stipulation.
> 5.2.4 Roles Requiring Separation of Duties No stipulation.
> 5.4.4 Protection of Audit Log
> No stipulation.
> 5.4.5 Audit Log Backup Procedures
> No stipulation.
> 5.4.6 Audit Collection System
> No stipulation.
> 5.7.3 Entity Private Key Compromise Procedures No stipulation.
> 6.5.2 Computer Security Rating
> No stipulation.
> 7.1.5 Name Constraints
> No stipulation.
>
> In this situation, is it reasonable to assume that the domain validation
> procedures that have "No Stipulation" are not used? Or should the CA be
> required to use specific language to indicate that?
>
> Is it OK for the CA to say "No Stipulation" in all of the sections listed
above?

> What does "No Stipulation" mean in each of the sections listed above?
>
> ==
>
> As always, I will greatly appreciate your thoughtful and constructive
input on
> this discussion.
>
> Thanks,
> Kathleen
>
> NOTICE: Protiviti is a global consulting and internal audit firm composed
of
> experts specializing in risk and advisory services. Protiviti is not
licensed or
> registered as a public accounting firm and does not issue opinions on
> financial statements or offer attestation services. This electronic mail
> message is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it
is
> addressed. This message, together with any attachment, may contain
> confidential and privileged information. Any views, opinions or
conclusions
> expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and do not
> necessarily reflect the views of Protiviti Inc. or its affiliates. Any
unauthorized
> review, use, printing, copying, retention, disclosure or distribution is
strictly
> prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately
> advise the sender by reply email message to the sender and delete all

              • Re:... Jakob Bohm via dev-security-policy
              • RE:... Tim Hollebeek via dev-security-policy
              • Re:... Wayne Thayer via dev-security-policy
              • Re:... Joanna Fox via dev-security-policy
              • Re:... Wayne Thayer via dev-security-policy
              • Re:... Jakob Bohm via dev-security-policy
              • Re:... Ryan Sleevi via dev-security-policy
              • Re:... Jakob Bohm via dev-security-policy
              • Re:... Wayne Thayer via dev-security-policy
  • RE: What does "No Stipul... Brown, Wendy (10421) via dev-security-policy
    • RE: What does "No S... Tim Hollebeek via dev-security-policy