On 2018/12/11 14:39, Matt Palmer via dev-security-policy wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 05:37:41AM +0000, Xiaoyin Liu via dev-security-policy
> wrote:
>> It’s clear that the private key for *.alipcsec.com is embedded in the
>> executable,
> There are ways of implementing SSL such that the private key doesn't *have*
> to be stored locally.  They all require the TLS termination point to be able
> to communicate with the service that *does* hold the private key, so a good
> way to test that the key is stored locally is to remove external
> connectivity and then try to establish a TLS connection.  If you still can,
> the key has to be *somewhere*.
I see. Thank you for the info! Indeed the connection can be established
even if Internet is disconnected.
>> packed by VMProtect, and the process has anti-debugging protection.  I
>> tried plenty of methods to extract the private key, but didn’t succeed.  I
>> reported this to Alibaba SRC anyway.  They replied that they ignore this
>> issue unless I can successfully extract the key.
> That sounds like it might be an admission that the binary *is* in the
> executable, and they're just hoping you won't be able to get it.
>
>> So is this a certificate misuse issue, even if the private key is
>> obfuscated?  If so, do I have to extract the private key first before the
>> CA can revoke the cert?
> Sadly, some CAs do indeed require you to *actually* produce the private key
> in order for them to consider the key compromised.  Given that people can
> pull apart Nation-State grade malware I think "we don't *know* that anyone's
> found it yet" is lamentably short-sighted, but absent an explicit rule that
> a key is considered compromised if it can be shown that it *must* be in
> a local executable, some CAs will continue to stick to their current
> standards.
>
> You can see how a similar situation played out in the past, in
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.security.policy/pk039T_wPrI/tGnFDFTnCQAJ
>
> However, I don't know what GlobalSign's policy is regarding revocation
> proof.  Rather than just talking to Alibaba, it would be worth contacting
> GlobalSign's problem reporting address (which is listed in the problem
> reporting list in the CCADB, at
> https://ccadb-public.secure.force.com/mozilla/AllProblemReportingMechanismsReport)
> and putting the situation to them.

Thank you for the links! I will contact GlobalSign tomorrow if Alibaba
doesn't take action by then. I just want to give Alibaba some time to
update their cert, to avoid disrupting users. Of course, if other people
on the list have already reported to GlobalSign, then I won't.

Best,

Xiaoyin