I don’t think I’m arguing that CAs should ever ignore the BRs. I’m arguing that
deciding the consequences of failing to follow the BRs falls in the hands of
the browsers.  But I think you definitely highlighted why this discussion is
confusing. I think all agree on the following:

1.      Failure to revoke by Jan 15th is a non-compliance with the BRs.
2.      Non-compliances require an incident report
3.      The incident should appear on the audit report. Side note – there won’t
be audit criteria around this particular issue by the time all certs are
revoked. We’re planning to inform our auditor of course (already have in fact),
but without audit criteria any delay in issuance essentially goes undetected
unless someone in this community notices. Because the audit criteria won’t be
updated until well after our audit report, if we were a bad acting CA, the
incident would just never show up.

I think the only thing we disagree on is:

4.      Can the browser say what happens for a failure to comply with the BRs
before the failure happens.

Is that a fair assessment?  I see why you wouldn’t want to engage in the
question you asked (“Hypothetically, what would happen if we did (Bad Thing
X)". That would be terrible. Much better to treat this question as “We know X
is going to happen. What’s the best way to mitigate the concerns of the
community?”  Exception was the wrong word in my original post. I should have
used “What would you like us to do to mitigate when we miss the Jan 15ht
deadline?” instead. Apologies for the confusion there.

Jeremy