On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 01:19:26PM -0800, Peter Bowen via dev-security-policy
wrote:
> I don't see how this follows.  DigiCert has made it clear they are able to
> technically revoke these certificates and presumably are contractually able
> to revoke them as well.  What is being said is that their customers are
> asking them to delay revoking them because the _customers_ have blackout
> periods where the customers do not want to make changes to their systems.
> DigiCert's customers are saying that they are judging the risk from
> revocation is greater than the risk from leaving them unrevoked and asking
> DigiCert to not revoke. DigiCert is then presenting this request along to
> Mozilla to get feedback from Mozilla.

It's worth clarifying that "risk" is not a property of the universe, like
magnetic flux density, but rather is assessed relative to specific entities.
Thus, when talking about risk, it's worth clearly identifying to whom a risk
is associated, as in this variant of part of the above paragraph:

> DigiCert's customers are saying that they are judging the risk *to them*
> from revocation is greather than the risk *to them* from leaving them
> unrevoked

I'm sure you're familiar with all this, Peter.  I just thought it was worth
highlighting for a wider audience, that one entity's assessment of risk to
them doesn't make it a physical constant that applies equally to everyone.
I find it very helpful when assessing such things to attach explicit
markers, somewhat like ensuring I specify both magnitude *and* direction on
my vectors.

- Matt