On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 11:14:11 +0000
"Buschart, Rufus via dev-security-policy"
<dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:

> You are right, of course there are mandatory RFC to take into
> account. But there is - to my knowledge - no RFC that says, you MUST
> NOT issue a certificate to a domain that could be interpreted as an
> IDNA2008 punycode.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5891

4.2.3.1.  Hyphen Restrictions

   The Unicode string MUST NOT contain "--" (two consecutive hyphens) in
   the third and fourth character positions and MUST NOT start or end
   with a "-" (hyphen).

This means you can't have a valid host name that is just
xn--[something]. You can only have it if it is also a valid IDN name.

--
Hanno Böck
https://hboeck.de/

mail/jabber: ha...@hboeck.de
GPG: FE73757FA60E4E21B937579FA5880072BBB51E42