On 24/01/2019 14:09, Kurt Roeckx via dev-security-policy wrote:
> On 2019-01-24 12:08, Rob Stradling wrote:
>>
>> Hi Kurt.
>>
>> BRs 7.1.4.2.2 says that the subject:commonName "MUST contain a single IP
>> address or Fully-Qualified Domain Name that is one of the values
>> contained in the Certificate’s subjectAltName extension (see Section
>> 7.1.4.2.1)."
>>
>> Fitting the U-label into subjectAltName:dNSName (an IA5String, not a
>> UTF8String) would be...hard, so in practice the dNSName has to contain
>> the A-label.
>>
>> So what does "is one of the values" mean?  It's certainly valid to use
>> the A-label in both the CN and SAN:dNSName.  However, it's arguably
>> invalid (or at least it's not obviously valid) to put the A-label in the
>> SAN:dNSName and the corresponding U-label in the CN.  (i.e., the U-label
>> and the A-label are different representations of the same value, but
>> they are not the same value).
>
> I expect all fields in the subject to be things you can just read, so
> U-labels. It does not make sense to show users an A-label, they do not
> understand what that means. The fields in a subject allows writing
> things in Unicode, there is no reason not to use it.
<snip>

Here's an example cert containing the A-label in the SAN:dNSName and the
U-label in the CN.  (It was issued by Sectigo, known back then as Comodo
CA, before we switched to always putting the A-label in the CN):

https://crt.sh/?id=213062481&opt=cablint,x509lint,zlint

x509lint agrees with your opinion (unsurprisingly!), but both cablint
and zlint complain.

--
Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist