Hi Kurt!

Normally the content of a certificate is not shown to the end user at all. The
end user sees the address bar of the browser. In the address bar of the browser
the U-label is shown. Then the browser makes the translation from the U-label
to the A-label, either using IDNA2003 or IDNA2008. We should check the behavior
of SSH clients but how many SSH client users are there compared to browser
users?

> The fields in a subject allows writing things in Unicode, there is no reason
> not to use it.

Sure it allows it, but as long as the CA doesn't permits it, the CA doesn't
have to do any conversion from U-label to A-label at all.

> The A-label is
> really just an technical thing related to DNS, and so only belongs in places
> where for technical reasons you need to use it.

Like the CN, as nobody non-technical ever sees the CN.

> If you want
> to show them rfc5280 says you "should" convert them to Unicode. For fields
> where you can write Unicode, there really isn't a reason
> to not put the Unicode in it directly.
>
> So in my opinion, the CN would be "gauß.siemens.de", and the SAN would be
> "xn--gau-7ka.siemens.de". They might add some
> alternatives like gauss.siemens.de to the SAN, and you can then also use that
> as CN. (But I think they should stop using that ss for ß,
> and really use gauß.)

I agree, that if a CA issues a certificate with the CN "gauß.siemens.de" the CA
has to perform a conversion acc. IDNA2003 for all checks, but if the CA only
issues the CN "xn--gau-7ka.siemens.de" they don't have to care if this is
IDNA2003 or IDNA2008.

> I think that if you want to force the use of A-labels in the CN field that
> you should really update RFC5280 and X.520, so that IA5String is
> the only option in CN. But that just doesn't make any sense.

I don't want to force anybody not to use Unicode in the CN, but I want to make
clear, that if a CA only allows CNs that follow RFC 1034, chapter 3.5, they
don't have to care about compliance with IDNA2008 / IDNA2003.