While I was going to respond to the below, Nick Lamb has beaten me to it.
I concur in full with the remarks in that reply.

We should not be picking national favorites as a root program.  There's a
whole world out there which must be supported.

What we should be doing is ensuring that we know the parties involved, have
mechanisms for monitoring their compliance, and have mechanisms for
untrusting parties who misissue.