Jaime Hablutzel via dev-security-policy <dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org>
writes:

>>>Again, maths were wrong here, sorry. Correct calculation is:
>>>
>>>log2(18446744073708551615) = 63.99999999999993
>>
>>I love the way that people are calculating data on an arbitrarily-chosen value
>>pulled entirely out of thin air
>
>Can you confirm if the motivation for the "64 bits of output from a CSPRNG"
>can be found in [1]?.

I actually thought it was from "Chosen-prefix collisions for MD5 and
applications" or its companion papers ("Short chosen-prefix collisions for MD5
and the creation of a rogue CA certificate", "Chosen-Prefix Collisions for MD5
and Colliding X.509 Certificates for Different Identities"), but it's not in
any of those.  Even the CCC talk slides only say "We need defense in depth ->
random serial numbers" without giving a bit count.  So none of the original
cryptographic analysis papers seem to give any value at all.  It really does
seem to be a value pulled entirely out of thin air.

Peter.