On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 1:16 PM Jakob Bohm via dev-security-policy <

> EV was originally an initiative to make the CAs properly vet OV
> certificates, and to mark those CAs that had done a proper job.
> EV issuing CAs were permitted to still sell the sloppily validated
> OV certs to compete against the CAs that hadn't yet cleaned up their
> act.
>
> This was before the BRs took effect, meaning that the bar for issuing OV
> certs was very low.

> To heavihandidly pressure the bad CAs to get in line, Firefox
> simultaneously started to display exaggerated and untruthful warnings
> for OV certificates, essentially telling users they were merely DV
> certificates.
>
> So the intended long term benefit would be that less reliable CAs would
> exit the market, making the certificate information displayed more
> reliable for users.

This does not seem to be supported by the statements by Opera, Mozilla, the
KDE Foundation, and Microsoft at the time, so unfortunately, I must point
out that you are either mistaken or being dishonest, or both.

https://web.archive.org/web/20060316082248/http://www.opera.com/security/toronto/
https://dot.kde.org/2005/11/22/web-browser-developers-work-together-security
http://hecker.org/mozilla/ssl-ui
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/ie/2005/11/21/better-website-identification-and-extended-validation-certificates-in-ie7-and-other-browsers/

Perhaps you'd like to correct the misstatements, having been pointed to
contemporaneous statements from people actually there and involved in the
decisions, which I can hope you were simply unaware of?