Without wanting to be antagonistic, I've come to learn I can count on you
to suggest that X deserves clarification because it's ambiguous, but I've
also learned I have trouble learning where the ambiguity exists or why.
Recall that part of this confusion, regrettably, came from an earnest
attempt to try and helpfully clarify the BRs with respect to
precertificates, so I've come to view clarifications as just as much, if
not more, risky than the original language.

The question about whether and how a pre-certificate is viewed is
definitely a matter for policy, and so I'm definitely opposed to attempting
to address it in IETF drafts, and somewhat opposed to clarifying it in the
BRs, since really, it's a matter of policy.

Could you perhaps highlight which "various things in the OCSP RFCs" that
might be read to conflict or preclude a good response? I think that's
probably the best way to figure out what, where, is to understand how the
interpretation came to be. It could be simply that the interpretation
overlooked other sections, as we've seen in the past (e.g. with IP
addresses in dNSName or with underscores), and so that seems like the best
starting point.

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 3:49 PM Tim Hollebeek via dev-security-policy <