On 12/09/2019 20:48, Tim Hollebeek via dev-security-policy wrote:
> So, this is something that would be helpfully clarified via either an IETF
> draft,

There's already a 6962-bis draft [1] in IESG Last Call, which (when we
finally complete it!) will obsolete RFC6962.  6962-bis redefines
precertificates so that they're not actually X.509 certificates.
Therefore, I don't think a "clarify RFC6962" draft is necessary.

Thinking aloud...
Does anything need to be clarified in 6962-bis though?
A (non-X.509) 6962-bis precertificate contains the serial number that
will appear in the certificate (if or when that certificate is issued),
so: Should the CA be forbidden, permitted or required to operate
revocation services for that serial number once the 6962-bis
precertificate has been produced but before the certificate has been
issued?  (And is this a technical matter for 6962-bis to address, or a
policy matter that's out of scope for the 6962-bis document?)

[1] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trans-rfc6962-bis/

> or clarifications in the BRs.  There are various things in the OCSP RFCs and
> even the BRs that can be read as precluding good OCSP responses for
> pre-certificates, although the situation is unclear since the relevant
> sections are blissfully ignorant of CT, and the correct behavior here was
> unfortunately left out of RFC 6962, which should have clarified this.
>
> Happy to help draft something.  There are some interesting complexities once
> you dig deeper.
>
> -Tim

Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist
Email: r...@sectigo.com
Bradford, UK
Office: +441274024707
Sectigo Limited

This message and any files associated with it may contain legally
privileged, confidential, or proprietary information. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are not permitted to use, copy, or forward it,
in whole or in part without the express consent of the sender. Please
notify the sender by reply email, disregard the foregoing messages, and
delete it immediately.