Version 3 of my proposal replaces Jeremy's suggested examples with Andrew
and Ryan's:

The current implementation of Certificate Transparency does not provide any
> way for Relying Parties to determine if a certificate corresponding to a
> given precertificate has or has not been issued. It is only safe to assume
> that a certificate corresponding to every precertificate exists.
>
> RFC 6962 states “The signature on the TBSCertificate indicates the
> certificate authority's intent to issue a certificate.  This intent is
> considered binding (i.e., misissuance of the Precertificate is considered
> equal to misissuance of the final certificate).”
>
> However, BR 7.1.2.5 states “For purposes of clarification, a
> Precertificate, as described in RFC 6962 – Certificate Transparency, shall
> not be considered to be a “certificate” subject to the requirements of RFC
> 5280 - Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Certificate and Certificate
> Revocation List (CRL) Profile under these Baseline Requirements.”
>
> Mozilla interprets the BR language as a specific exception allowing CAs to
> issue a precertificate containing the same serial number as the subsequent
> certificate [1]. Otherwise, Mozilla infers from the existence of a
> precertificate that a corresponding certificate has been issued.
>
> This means, for example, that:
>
> * A CA must provide OCSP services and responses in accordance with Mozilla
> policy for all certificates presumed to exist based on the presence of a
> Precertificate, even if the certificate does not actually exist
> * A CA must be able to revoke a certificate presumed to exist, if
> revocation of the certificate is required under Mozilla policy, even if the
> certificate does not actually exist.
> * If any corresponding certificate with the same serial number and issuer
> exists, and can not be verified to match the precertificate using the
> algorithms in RFC 6962, it will be considered misissued.
> * In examining historical issuance, the CA must consider both final
> certificates and precertificates, even if the precertificate did not
> ultimately result in the issuance of a certificate.

I propose adding this language to our "Required Practices" wiki page [2],
then introducing a CAB Forum ballot that limits the scope of BR 7.1.2.5 to
serial numbers. That still leaves some uncertainty about the use of the
"unknown" response for precertificates (and in general), although Ryan made
some good points about why using this status beyond the very narrow scope
described in RFC 6960 section 2.2 is a bad idea.

Once again, I will greatly appreciate your feedback on this topic. Since
this is a practice and not official policy, I'll go ahead and update the
wiki when I sense that we're in agreement here.

- Wayne

[1] https://cabforum.org/pipermail/public/2014-January/002694.html
[2] https://wiki.mozilla.org/CA/Required_or_Recommended_Practices

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 8:28 AM Neil Dunbar via dev-security-policy <