On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 6:42 PM Jeremy Rowley <jeremy.row...@digicert.com>
wrote:

> Tackling Sub CA renewals/issuance from a compliance perspective is
> difficult because of the number of manual components involved. You have the
> key ceremony, the scripting, and all of the formal process involved.
> Because the root is stored in an offline state and only brought out for a
> very intensive procedure, there is lots that can go wrong  compared to
> end-entity certs, including bad profiles and bad coding. These events are
> also things that happen rarely enough that many CAs might not have well
> defined processes around. A couple things we’ve done to eliminate issues
> include:
>

>    1. 2 person review over the profile + a formal sign-off from the
>    policy authority
>    2. A standard scripting tool for generating the profile to ensure only
>    the subject info in the cert changes.  This has basic some linting.
>    3. We issue a demo cert. This cert is exactly the same as the cert we
>    want to issue but it’s not publicly trusted and includes a different
>    serial. We then review the demo cert to ensure profile accuracy. We should
>    run this cert through a linter (added to my to-do list).
>

> We used to treat renewals separate from new issuance. I think there’s
> still a sense that they “are” different, but that’s been changing. I’m
> definitely looking forward to hearing what other CAs do.

It's not clear: Are you suggesting the the configuration of sub-CA profiles
is more, less, or the as risky as for end-entity certificates? It would
seem that, regardless, the need for review and oversight is the same, so
I'm not sure that #1 or #2 would be meaningfully different between the two
types of certificates?

That said, of the incidents, only two of those were potentially related to
the issuance of new versions of the intermediates (Actalis and QuoVadis).
The other two were new issuance.

So I don't think we can explain it as entirely around renewals. I
definitely appreciate the implicit point you're making: which is every
manual action of a CA, or more generally, every action that requires a
human be involved, is an opportunity for failure. It seems that we should
replace all the humans, then, to mitigate the failure? ;)

To go back to your transparency suggestion, would we have been better if:
1) CAs were required to strictly disclose every single certificate profile
for everything "they sign"
2) Demonstrate compliance by updating their CP/CPS to the new profile, by
the deadline required. That is, requiring all CAs update their CP/CPS prior
to 2019-01-01.

Would this prevent issues? Maybe - only to extent CAs view their CP/CPS as
authoritative, and strictly review what's on them. I worry that such a
solution would lead to the "We published it, you didn't tell us it was bad"
sort of situation (as we've seen with audit reports), which then further
goes down a rabbit-hole of requiring CP/CPS be machine readable, and then
tools to lint CP/CPS, etc. By the time we've added all of this complexity,
I think it's reasonable to ask if the problem is not the humans in the
loop, but the wrong humans (i.e. going back to distrusting the CA). I know
that's jumping to conclusions, but it's part of what taking an earnest look
at these issues are: how do we improve things, what are the costs, are
there cheaper solutions that provide the same assurances?