On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 7:23 PM Kathleen Wilson via dev-security-policy <

> ** Sub Item 3.2 -- Limit re-use of domain name and IP address
> verification to 398 days
> (https://github.com/mozilla/pkipolicy/issues/206)
> 19 CAs responded that they either do not re-use domain verification, or
> that their re-use of domain verification is already less than 398 days.
> 11 CAs indicated that they could implement the changes to their
> processes and documentation to limit the re-use of domain name
> verification to 398 days or less before 2020 Sep 30, 2020
> 9 CAs shared the sentiment that they would prefer that the re-use of
> verification information be regulated by the CA/Browser Forum Baseline
> Requirements.
> A few CAs indicated that this requirement would cause extra work for
> their customers, and requested a detailed security analysis of this
> change which they could convey to their customers.
> One CA noted: "If there is a change to reuse requirements, it should
> only apply to data verified on or after the effective date of the
> change. This change should not apply to data verified before the
> effective date of the change to avoid creating a verification cliff for
> the CAs and Subscribers. Note, if Mozilla requires that a domain name or
> IP address is re-verified each time a TLS certificate is issued, then
> this will reduce the effectivity of a number of verification
> methodologies that can be used and could impact many ecosystems which
> rely on TLS."

It is interesting the degree to which this CA continues to do a disservice
to their customers, and the ecosystem, with replies like this. There are
only three validation methods which might (not will) have their effectivity
reduced, and that is validation methods that require manual validation
using less secure, less reliable methods of validation: namely, validation
of DNS via a phone call, rather than DNS itself.

The extent of ecosystem wide CA incidents in the past year has only
highlighted the importance of strong technical controls for domain
validation. Methods that rely on unstructured text (like WHOIS) or that are
artificially constrained due to requiring manual steps continue to cause
validation issues and impair the ability of CAs to respond effectively to
security incidents. Mozilla’s own feedback on CA incidents has highlighted
the critical importance of CA’s ability to support validation methods that
can be done without requiring an error prone, high latency, non-scalable
human approval, instead basing validation on the thing being validated,
namely, DNS itself.

It’s certainly true that there would be an impact, but it is undeniable
when one examines the CA incidents, both in issuance and revocation, so say
it be a much-needed positive impact towards ensuring robust and healthy
ecosystems.

Given how many CAs have already implemented this change, or could do so, I
think we should be careful when giving it any substantive weight. I worry
the inclusion here might be seen as legitimizing the feedback, rather than
highlighting how divorced it is from the ecosystem and their peers. Given
how much of the ecosystem has already moved positively in the right
direction and taken steps to mitigate any issues and avoid any hypothetical
cliffs, as shown by the feedback, I think we should view this specific CA’s
feedback as a largely intransigent response focused on maintaining the
status quo, rather than how best to serve the needs of relying parties who
place trust in them.