Ryan,

If you said “Mozilla is making this change and there’s nothing you can say or
do to change that” I would accept those words, as I did with Ben’s response.
But you engaged after Ben’s response, so I’d like to respond to your comments.

Here’s some common ground… we both believe that there are security implications
that are NOT related to phishing. BOOM! We agree on something.

Dear Mozilla, and this wonderful community, I’m not debating this change. I
accept it is happening irrespective of what other stakeholders might think. I
am simply responding to Ryan’s comments :-))

Back to Ryan…

Mozilla provides 3 reasons for its decision.

"1. Agility”

No comment. I will defer to the people who know way more than me.

There are lots of people who know more than me on the subject of
phishing-related security risks too and I learn from them. But it’s an area in
which I have an extremely deep understanding and appreciation for so it might
be a good idea to try to understand where I’m coming from. It’s pretty much all
I work on every day.

Phishing  is all about how humans interact with URIs and web documents based on
whatever UI they use. If there’s dedicated UI that provides additional context
for URIs and web documents, that too will impact their actions.

My research into UI and metadata for providing additional context for URIs
started before I co-founded the first ever W3C Incubator Activity (with Phil
Archer from) - to create a new method of URL Classification and Content
Labeling, which later replaced PICS as a Full Recomendation in 2009. The W3C
Mobile Web Initiative was going to mandate compliance with best practices using
the outcome of this initiative (a trustmark in the form of metadata) -
coincidentally, I was one of the original seven founders of the W3C MWI and was
on the Steering Council for the first year. I digress with a humblebrag because
I don’t have the Google or Mozilla brand behind me to automatically assert
credibility.

Here’s one of the first browser extensions that provided additional UI for
URIs, to help make the web easier to navigate for people with accessibility
considerations as well as security and privacy related information:
https://www.w3.org/2001/sw/sweo/public/UseCases/Segala/
<https://www.w3.org/2001/sw/sweo/public/UseCases/Segala/> I was the founder and
CEO of Segala.

(For anyone who’s moderately interested in phishing, please look up
“reverse-proxy phishing” as it will scare the pants off you.)

So…

"2. Limit exposure to compromise"

Keys valid for longer than one year have greater exposure to compromise, and a
compromised key could enable an attacker to intercept secure communications
and/or ***impersonate a website*** until the TLS certificate expires.”

“Impersonate a website” = phishing. This is a security risk. “Security risk”
and “phishing” are not interchangeable and I never said they were. It’s
preferable that you don’t quote me with words that I didn’t use.

"3. TLS Certificates Outliving Domain Ownership"

TLS certificates provide authentication, meaning that you can be sure that you
are sending information to the correct server and ***not to an imposter trying
to steal your information***."

“Imposter” on the Internet = phishing.

"If the owner of the domain changes or the cloud service provider changes, the
holder of the TLS certificate’s private key (e.g. the previous owner of the
domain or the previous cloud service provider) ***can impersonate the
website*** until that TLS certificate expires."

“can impersonate the website” = you guessed what I’m about to say… “PHISHING”.

It doesn’t matter if you don’t call this phishing, in the same way that it
doesn’t matter if you don’t call the things that are used to reduce the risk of
pedestrians being hit by speeding traffic, “speed bumps”. You could argue that
they’re not called “speed bumps” but are in fact, called “speed breakers” - but
they all refer to the same thing. So, even if you personally don’t call this
phishing, it is phishing in the eyes of the security world and every single
phishing expert in the universe.

I had to encourage the MWI team not to redefine the meaning of “webpage”
because everyone just knew what it was. There’s no point in taking about
documents and URIs to consumers. So rather than teach them the real words, we
should talk to them in the language they understand.

Separately...

I previously ignored the fact that the post says “you can be sure that you are
sending information to the correct server and not to an imposter trying to
steal your information”, because I didn’t want an EV conversation to take away
from the above. I’ll bring it up now for the sake of the record though.

If “you can be sure" refers to ‘consumers', this statement is fundamentally
wrong because it does not reference EV. If it’s not referring to consumers, who
is it referring to and in what context? It’s a very strange sentence that could
have different meanings. I suggest an edit to be more clear and concise.

Now that I have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that we are talking about
phishing, feel free to debate the merits of my points raised in my original
email.

Regards,
Paul