On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 7:44 PM Jakob Bohm via dev-security-policy <

> On 2020-10-15 11:57, Ryan Sleevi wrote:

> >> therein.
> >>>

> >> The one difference from RFC4180 is that CR and LF are not part of the
> >> alternatives for the inner part of "escaped".
> >

> > Again, it would do a lot of benefit for everyone if you would be more
> > precise here.
> >
> > For example, it seems clear and unambiguous that what you just stated is
> > factually wrong, because:
> >
> > escaped = DQUOTE *(TEXTDATA / COMMA / CR / LF / 2DQUOTE) DQUOTE
> >

> I was stating the *difference* from RFC4180 being precisely that
> "simple, traditional CSV" doesn't accept the CR and LF alternatives in
> that syntax production.

Ah, that would explain my confusion: you’re using “CSV” in a manner
different than what is widely understood and standardized. The complaint
about newlines would be as technically accurate and relevant as a complaint
that “simple, traditional certificates should parse as JSON” or that
“simple, traditional HTTP should be delivered over port 23”; which is to
say, it seems like this concern is not relevant.

As the CSVs comply with RFC 4180, which is widely recognized as what “CSV”
means, I think Jakob’s concern here can be disregarded. Any implementation
having trouble with the CSVs produced is confused about what a CSV is, and
thus not a CSV parser.