De: Ryan Sleevi <r...@sleevi.com>
Enviado el: lunes, 14 de diciembre de 2020 22:41
Para: Ramiro Muñoz <rami...@camerfirma.com>
CC: r...@sleevi.com; Ben Wilson <bwil...@mozilla.com>;
mozilla-dev-security-policy <mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org>
Asunto: Re: Summary of Camerfirma's Compliance Issues

Thanks Ramiro for the update.

I do want to make sure we're on the same page. Responding point-by-point to the
issues would probably be the least productive path forward. If there are
specific disagreements with the facts as presented, which were taken from the
Bugzilla reports, it would be good to highlight that. However, I believe the
intent is that the Bugzilla report is the source of truth, so if there are
details that were *not* on the incident reports, I would say that's more
concerning than it is reassuring.

I'm a bit concerned to see your latest reply still highlight the "increased the
PKI team", since that's been a sort of repeated refrain (e.g. Issue T, Issue
BB, Issue PP). I don't disagree that it's important to ensure that there are
adequate resources devoted to compliance _and_ development, but I think it's
also important to make sure that the solution is not to throw more people at
the problem.

While the integrity of the CA is perhaps not as obviously cut and dry, as was
the case with WoSign/StartCom, I do believe it's reasonable to ask whether or
not the CA has the skills, expertise, and understanding of the systemic issues
to effectively manage things going forward, especially when we have seen the
regular repetition of issues. This suggests more systemic fixes are needed, but
also suggests that there are more systemic flaws in how things are operated,
designed, and administered that do call into question the trustworthiness of
the current infrastructure.

If Camerfirma were approaching with a new CA/new certificate hierarchy, it
would be reasonable to ask why, given all of these incidents, Camerfirma should
be included, since it puts a lot of risk onto the community. Regaining trust
and reputation, once lost, is incredibly difficult, and requires going above
and beyond. I hope that, in your formal response, you provide a holistic
picture of how Camerfirma has changed its operations, implementation,
infrastructure, management process, policies, and quite frankly, the use
cases/subscribers that it targets with these certificates, so that the
community can make an informed decision about risk.

Similarly, in thinking about what this would be for a "new" PKI, and how
difficult it would be, given the current evidence, to see that as good for
users, it's also worth asking what should happen with the current PKI. Should
we continue to assume that the implementation of the EV guidelines is correct,
even though we have ample evidence of basic RFC 5280 and BR violations? Should
we consider sunsetting (e.g. with a notBefore restriction) trust? Would it be
reasonable to remove trust altogether?

For example, Camerfirma currently has four roots ([1], [2], [3], [4]). [1]
appears to have issued less than 3,500 still valid certificates, [2] / [3] are
only trusted for e-mail, and [4] seems to be a super-CA of sorts (with sub-CAs
operated by Intesa Sanpaolo, Infocert, Multicert, and Govern d'Andorra). For
the sub-CAs that aren't constrained/revoked, it seems Intesa Sanpaolo has only
issued ~2200 certificates, Infocert ~650, and Multicert ~3000.

Is that accurate? I totally could have made a mistake here, since this was just
manually inspecting every sub-CA from Camerfirma and I totally could have
clicked wrong, but that suggests that there is... very little practical risk
here to removal, compared to the rather significant risk of having a CA that
has established a pattern of compliance and supervision issues.

[1] https://crt.sh/?caid=869
[2] https://crt.sh/?caid=140
[3] https://crt.sh/?caid=8453
[4] https://crt.sh/?caid=1114