On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 1:44 PM Ramiro Muñoz via dev-security-policy <

> > That Camerfirma does not understand or express appreciation for this
> risk
> > is, to the extent, of great cause for concern.
>
> Dear Ryan,
>
> We are looking at the same data but we’re reading two completely different
> stories.
>
> We are reading a story of a small CA that had its own graduation journey,
> struggled but eventually managed to emerge stronger from such journey.
>
> You are reading a story of deceitful and unreliable CA that represents the
> worst danger to the entire community (your even wrote: “Camerfirma is as
> bad or worse than WoSign and DigiNotar”!),  even if you yourself recognised
> that was your subjective opinion on the matter.

I am concerned about the attempts to so significantly dismiss the concerns
as merely subjective.

I’m saddened that Camerfirma does not recognize the seriousness of these
issues, despite this thread, as evidenced by this latest response.
Camerfirma continues to suggest “risk” as if this is some absolute that
should the the guiding pole.

The analogy, in the hopes that it helps Camerfirma understand, is a bit
like saying to a bank “I know we borrowed $100, and defaulted on that loan
and never paid it back, but we were a small CA, we’ve grown, and now we
would like to borrow $1 million. We cannot demonstrate our financials, nor
can we offer collateral, but we believe we are low risk, because it was
only $100”.

More concretely, Camerfirma is viewing this through the lens of what did go
wrong, and continuing to be blind to how that signals, from a risk
perspective, of what can go wrong. They are asking to be judged based on
the direct harm to users by their (many, more than any CA I can think of)
failures, while similarly asking the community to disregard the
significance of that pattern of failures, and what it says about the
overall operations of the CA.

In short, Camerfirma is asking to be trusted implicitly and explicitly for
the future, and asking that their $100 default not hold back their $1m
loan. In banking, as in trust, this is simply unreasonable.

Some have suggested that “trust” is the ability to use pst actions to
predict future outcomes. If you say you do X, and as long as I’ve known
you, you’ve done X, then when I say I “trust” you to do X, it’s an
indicator I believe your future actions will be consistent with those past
actions.

Camerfirma has, undisputed, shown a multi-year pattern that continues,
which demonstrates both a failure to correctly implement requirements, but
also a failure to reasonably and appropriately respond to and prevent
future incidents. The incident responses, which Camerfirma would like to
assert are signs of maturity, instead show a CA that has continued to
operate below the baseline expectations for years.

Camerfirma would like the community to believe that they now meet the bare
minimum, as if that alone should be considered, and all of these past
actions disregarded because of this.

Yet the risk is real: that Camerfirma has not met the bare minimum at
present, and that Camerfirma is not prepared to continue to meet that
minimum as the requirements are improved over time. We have exhaustive
evidence of this being the case in the past, and the only assurances we
have that things are different now is Camerfirma’s management believing
that, this time, they have finally got it right. However, the responses on
even the most recent incidents continue to show that Camerfirma is
continuing to pursue the same strategy for remediation it has for years: a
strategy that has demonstrably failed to keep up with industry
requirements, and failed to address the systemic issues.

These are objective statements, demonstrated by the evidence presented, but
Camerfirma would like to present them as subjective, because they take
consideration of the full picture, and not merely the rosy, but misleading,
image that Camerfirma would like to present.

That these are persistent, sustained issues, without systemic change, is
something demonstrably worse than DigiNotar. Further, when considering the
capability for harm, and the sustained pattern of failure, it would be
foolish to somehow dismiss the risk, pretending as if Chekhov’s gun of
failure is not destined to go off in the next act.

At the core, Camerfirma is treating this as if any response from the
community should be directly proportional to the *individual* failures, as
many as they are, and is asking the community to ignore both the systemic
patterns and what it says about the future. This is abundantly clear when
they speak of risk: they apparently are unable to comprehend or acknowledge
what the patterns predict, and the risk of that, and thus ask such patterns
be disregarded entirely as somehow, incorrectly, being too subjective.

If these failures were to be plotted on a time series, there is no question
that the slope of this graph is worrying, and the number of incidents - and
the type and pattern of incidents - is worrying. Camerfirma would ask we
ignore all such statistics and data, under the assertion that the slope of
sheer number of incidents is trending downward. Yet to do so would be to
disregard the data we have, and disregard the trendlines that show the type
of incidents have not meaningfully changed, that even with a downward trend
it is unacceptably above the baseline and will be for some time, and would
like us to forget everything we know because, Finally, Once and For All,
they’ve hired enough people to do the job that they’ve been required to do
from the beginning.