I think it makes sense to separate out the date for domain validation
expiration from the issuance of server certificates with previously validated
domain names, but agree with Ben that the timeline doesn’t seem to need to be
prolonged. What about something like this:

1. Domain name or IP address verifications performed on or after July 1, 2021
may be reused for a maximum of 398 days.
2. Server certificates issued on or after September 1, 2021 must have completed
domain name or IP address verification within the preceding 398 days.

This effectively stretches the “cliff” out across ~6 months (now through the
end of August), which seems reasonable.

Cheers!
-Clint