-----Original Message-----
From: dev-security-policy <dev-security-policy-boun...@lists.mozilla.org> On
Behalf Of pfuen...--- via dev-security-policy
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2021 4:17 AM
To: Mozilla <mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org>
Subject: Clarification request: ECC subCAs under RSA Root

Hello all,

I'd have an open question about the possibility (from a compliance standpoint)
of having an ECC 256 subordinate under an RSA 2048 Root.

If I look at the WebTrust criteria, I can see this:
****
4.1.3 CA key generation generates keys that:
a) use a key generation algorithm as disclosed within the CA’s CP and/or CPS;
b) have a key length that is appropriate for the algorithm and for the validity
period of the CA certificate as disclosed in the CA’s CP and/or CPS. The public
key length to be certified by a CA is less than or equal to that of the CA’s
private signing key; and
c) take into account requirements on parent and subordinate CA key sizes and
have a key size in accordance with the CA’s CP and/or CPS.
****

My reading of this criteria is that it's not possible to have a subordinate
with a stronger key than the issuer, but this is unclear when mixing algorithms.

In theory, an ECC 256 subordinate has a stronger crypto than an RSA 2048 Root,
so if I read the above criteria in terms of crypto strength, I get the
impression that this is nor allowed. But I don't know if this is an appropriate
interpretation of the rules.

Can anyone help me to see the light?

Thanks!
Pedro