I know where this kind of requirement is coming from ... it's a common
requirement in key management systems, but they generally operate in worlds
that are completely different from the Web PKI.  Even there, it often causes
more problems than it solves.  I've spent more of my life dealing with the
fallout from rules like this than I care to admit.

It makes more sense when you have a complex asymmetric or symmetric system
with different strength keys protecting the distribution of symmetric keys
with different strengths, and you want to make sure the keys being
distributed actually have the intended strength, instead of being somewhat
weaker due to potential attacks on weak links in the distribution system.
One of the ways of simplifying that complexity is to enforce various
uniformity requirements on the chains.  This helps prevent accidentally
using an encryption key that was distributed with a weaker key, and thinking
that it has full strength.

It's important to remember that TLS keys are real-time online authentication
keys, generally with relatively short lifetimes (relative to many typical
KMSs!), and the goal is to meet the minimum authentication strength goal at
the time the connection is being built.  Whether one or more keys is a bit
stronger than necessary doesn't hurt anything in the same way that it can
for encryption keys.  And as the two previous people have noted, mixed
chains can be extremely useful in various interoperability and
transition/upgrade scenarios.  So rules like these can actually reduce
cryptoagility by unnecessarily eliminating perfectly viable options, and
reducing cryptoagility is the exact opposite of what we should be trying to
accomplish.

-Tim

On