On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 13:43:55 -0700
Ben Wilson via dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:

> This is to announce the beginning of the public discussion phase of
> the Mozilla root CA inclusion process for the ANF Secure Server Root
> CA.

I'd like to draw attention to the first misissuance mentioned
in <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=9098945> and
<https://bug555156.bmoattachments.org/attachment.cgi?id=9100493>.
Although this misissuance occurred under ANF's old hierarchy, that
hierarchy is/was trusted by Apple and Microsoft, and ANF was requesting
its inclusion in Mozilla, so the incident is relevant to understanding
how ANF operates a publicly-trusted certificate authority.

In 2019, ANF issued a server certificate
<https://crt.sh/?sha256=6C1F1CDA9E6BD20E300C84D3C54BABE5A79A7901E373C21DE0D63055F4935B52>
with a DNS name of cdcdcd.  Obviously, they could not have possibly
validated domain control of this hostname, which is a serious failure
considering that domain validation is the most important task a
CA performs.  However, their incident report doesn't mention domain
validation at all.  They blamed the incident on human error by "junior
engineers" and their resolution was to implement a blocklist of words
that indicate a test certificate ("Test", "Testing", "Prueba"), provide
more training for junior engineers, and update their "Disciplinary
Measures and Sanctions document, in order to have this resources
available in case of infringement".  None of these resolutions address
the root failure to perform domain validation.  Had this incident
report been written several years earlier, it may have been excusable,
but by 2019 it was very clear to anyone following mdsp and CA incidents
that "human error" is not acceptable analysis and training is not an
adequate resolution.

Additionally, their incident report shows some pretty concerning
misunderstandings of PKI and the BRs:

1. A belief that the CABF's Test Certificate extension OID is meant for
testing their CA rather than a (now forbidden) domain validation method.

2. A belief that the CABF's Test Certificate extension OID is to be put
in the certificate policy extension rather than used as the ID for a
poison extension.

3. A conflation of the subject serial number and the certificate serial
number, stating that the subject serial number must contain 64 bits of
entropy.

Finally, note that the new hierarchy has issued zero end-entity
certificates known to CT, so the fact that the new hierarchy hasn't
misissued any certificates doesn't speak to the competence of ANF.
On the other hand, the history of misissuance in the old hierarchy,
ANF's misunderstandings of PKI, and the incredibly poor incident report
speak very poorly to ANF's competence and trustworthiness.  There is
no indication that they've corrected the root cause of their failure to
perform domain validation, and no reason to believe that their
compliance problems won't reoccur under their new hierarchy.

When Mozilla trusts a CA, Mozilla is giving an assurance to its users
that they won't be harmed by the CA.  A CA which has lax technical
controls, a poor understanding of PKI, and an inability to learn from
and improve when mistakes are made is at heightened risk of
exploitation by malicious actors that would harm Mozilla users.  I do
not believe Mozilla can give assurance to their users that ANF is safe.
Therefore, this application should be rejected.

Regards,
Andrew