> The reason we reject human error as a root cause, which you don't seem
> to understand because you mention the engineers, is that failures are
> NOT the fault of humans who make mistakes. They're the fault of the
> system which failed to prevent the mistakes.
> The mention of the engineers, coupled with the note in the incident
> report about "Disciplinary Measures and Sanctions", suggests that ANF
> intends to use the threat of punishment to try to prevent mistakes.

I believe that you have overlooked many of the reinforcement measures that I
indicated in my previous email for the sake of your final conclusion. Measures
that show that in ANF AC, we work so that our systems avoid the errors that
humans could make, and that these would prevent errors that other included CAs
have made (I gave some examples).

I pointed out several automated measures, however, the conclusion you reach is
that we "intend to use the threat of punishment to try to prevent mistakes”...

The existence of said document “Disciplinary Measures and Sanctions” is not
“threat of punishment”, it is a normative and legal obligation, by ETSI EN 319
401, whose REQ-7.2-05 indicates “Appropriate disciplinary sanctions shall be
applied to personnel violating TSP's policies or procedures”; which refers to
clause 7.2.3 of ISO/IEC 27002:2013 for guidance: "There should be a formal and
communicated disciplinary process in place to take action against employees who
have committed an information security breach."

Your interpretation that a “Disciplinary Measures and Sanctions” Policy is
intended to intimidate our staff is far from reality. Contrary to that, this
documented processes in an organization are intended to avoid arbitrariness and
guarantee a unified criterion, which is known throughout the organization.

Regarding Domain Control Validation, I apologize for trying to be brief in my
previous answer. I will go into more detail, so that it can be understood how
ANF AC proceeds to validate the requests:

At the time of request, when indicating the domain or domains to be included in
the certificate, the automated checks described in my previous email are
performed (regarding correct format, posible errors, CAA Records, Google Safe
Browsing list, ANF AC blocklist) to prevent an “invalid” request from
proceeding. Because, it makes no sense to allow a request for an invalid domain
to proceed, or for a domain with CAA RR containing unknown property tags with
the Critical bit set, or with “issue” or “issuewild” that does not authorize
issuance by ANF AC. Here, also a WHOIS lookup is made.

It is important, for the explanation further below, to indicate that in the
request we also require the applicant's phone number.

Next, for each of the domains to be included, a drop-down email list is shown
with the following options to choose from:
1) Constructed emails, using 'admin', 'administrator', 'webmaster',
'hostmaster', or 'postmaster' + @ + apex domain (which would be method
3.2.2.4.4)
2) Result of the WHOIS lookup previously made, for the “technical contact”, or
“administrative contact” (which would be method 3.2.2.4.2). This is in case the
content of said contact is in email format. If the content is protected by
privacy it is not listed.

In the case of single-domain, when formalizing the request, two codes are sent
via:
- Request confirmation email: Contains the request ID (numeric), a random
alphanumeric code valid for 29 days, and a download link for “ANF Certificate
Manager” program.
- SMS: Random code (code 2).

In “ANF Certificate Manager” the applicant must enter the request ID, the email
code and the SMS code. The program then shows all the request information
(applicant info, data of the subject, DNS to include in SAN…) and the applicant
must give confirmation. Said request is then sent to ANF AC in order to
validate the rest of the documentation (explained further below), and proceed,
if favorable, to the issuance of the certificate.

NOTE: "ANF Certificate Manager" is a client desktop program that incorporates a
tool so that the applicant can generate their key pair on their Windows PC.
This makes it easier for the client to later download the issued certificate,
and export to pfx if needed. Here I want to clarify that in NO case ANF AC
generates the keys and returns them to the program, it is the program tool that
generates the keys on the applicant's PC. (as I saw it was discussed at
https://archive.cabforum.org/pipermail/servercert-wg/2020-May/001949.html). We
also allow the option for the user to provide CSR that was generated by their
preferred means.

In case of multi-domain, it does not make sense to send N emails with
instructions to download the program, since it only needs to be downloaded 1
time. Therefore, what the system does is: send the request confirmation email
to one of the emails, and send an "additional" confirmation email to each email
indicated for DVC purpose for each additional domain to include.

Said "additional" confirmation email, addressed to the domain administrator,
informs them that [Applicant Data] has requested an SSL certificate for their
domain [Domain] by [Request ID] request, and instructs them to access a link
(valid for 29 days, the email indicates the expiration date) where they can
manually confirm or reject the request by clicking Confirm/Reject buttons.

Evidence is collected as to whether the administrator of said domain confirmed
or rejected, and it is received on the IRM platform. The IRM staff can see
whether or not domain control was verified for each of the requested domains
(they appear listed). If a DCV was rejected or was not verified, the request
cannot proceed. Depending on the email that was used for DCV (chosen during the
request), the BR method used is automatically recorded. The BR version used is
set from the system, but is saved for each request.

In that same screen, IRM staff can see and manually verify the data and
documentation of the organization and the applicant, and must attach evidence
of identity verification. As, for example, in section 3.2.2.1. of the BRs
several methods are allowed to verify the identity of the applicant; The IRM
must select from a drop-down the method it has used (from those established in
ANF AC CP) and attach evidence of it. I cannot find a possible way of
automation for this, it must involve personnel trained  in legal aspects, and
it is unfortunately subject to potential human error.

Regards,
Pablo