I'm raising this up to the top level to get it more visibility. There is earlier discussion deep in the thread titled "Proposal for Mozilla CA policy extension".

The domain registrar Registerfly is melting down. They have an SSL business, FlySSL[0]. As I understand it, they are an SSL reseller for Geotrust (QuickSSL product) and Comodo (FlySSL product), so they don't have their own root in the Mozilla certificate store. They themselves seem to have a reseller program, ostensibly with 22,000 resellers[1], a figure I find hard to believe.

In practice, this means that, for the FlySSL program, they sell certificates signed directly by the Comodo (or rather, UTN-UserFirst-Hardware) key, such as the one on https://registerfly.com/. I haven't found an example of a certificate they've sold in their QuickSSL program, but I suspect it might be the same.

Let's assume for the sake of argument that we are no longer happy about FlySSL's business.

What happens now?

Do we contact Comodo and/or Geotrust and ask them whether they are continuing to sign certificates on behalf of Registerfly?

Gerv

[0] http://www.registerfly.com/ssl/
[1] http://www.registerfly.com/reseller/ssl.php