.de is in the IDN whitelist, so international domain names from this TLD will show up in their "human-readable" form (not punycode). However, the .de registry DENIC seems to allow certain characters that might be mistaken for others. I am sure they are not the only one. Their policy [1] does not state anything about blocking similar domain names. For example, one of the characters allowed in the policy is n (n with a small dash below it). While their online domain query tool seems to block invalid domains, they show "postbank.de" (postbank.de with the fake n, xn--postbak-pkb.de) as a valid domain, so I assume it would be possible to a phisher to register it. This is of course just an example. Of course there is a visible difference between "n" and "n", but I doubt many average users (many of them not knowing that IDN is possible) would notice/care about this. I think they might even take the dash/dot below the n for dirt on the screen. Similar problematic characters probably exist in other whitelisted domains too.

Does this fall under "you cant do anything against stupid/careless users" or should more be done to protect against this attack? (Like setting network.IDN_show_punycode to true by default for all domains, highlighting IDN domain name parts, etc.)

Jan

[1] http://www.denic.de/en/richtlinien.html

--
Please avoid sending mails, use the group instead.
If you really need to send me an e-mail, mention "FROM NG"