On 27/10/09 09:33, Adam Barth wrote:
> My technical argument is as follows.  I think that CSP would be better
> off with a policy language where each directive was purely subtractive
> because that design would have a number of simplifying effects:

CSP's precursor, Content Restrictions
http://www.gerv.net/security/content-restrictions/
was designed to be purely subtractive, for many of the technical reasons
you state. And I do continue to think that it's a better choice.

Why write the spec in terms of "restrictions" rather than "capabilities"?

    Backwards-compatibility. Current user agents are fully capable. Any
restrictions we can place on content to possibly mitigate XSS is
therefore a bonus. Also, if it were in terms of capabilities, you might
require UI if the capabilities the page wanted conflicted with the
desires of the user. This is a UI-free specification, which is a feature.

Gerv