> I don't know the details of J-Pake etc.,

This is a type of protocols that allows *mutual* authentication using
simple passwords  or other shared secrets without leaking any
information about the passwords (so dictionary attacks on the captured
traffic etc does not work). As a result of the authentification both
parties gets a strong shared cryptographic key that they can use for
symmetric encryption.

> but if it could verify a
fingerprint to a domain the user has chosen to communicate with (even
better without a CA - self signed)

SRP/ J-PAKE assumes that the user somehow already posses a shared
secret. They cannot be used for password generation. This is not a
problem for banks as they typically send the initial password and/or
hardware token by post. For ordinary websites this is typically not an
option. So even if those protocols are used for encryption as a SSL
replacement, some initial establishment of trust  must be done by
other means.

This where is where using SRP/J-PAKE for certificate verification
would be very useful on the current web as this implies that the user
is vulnerable only during the initial registration. After that she can
always be assured that the site where she enters the password indeed
knows it.