Hi,

If I may weigh in, I wonder if passing Acid3 is a valuable goal in the short term. IE8 scores 20/100 at Acid3. All major websites and most websites have to support IE8, because it's the current "boat-anchor browser" [1]. So most websites don't need the features that make a 100 score. Specifically, SVG might be a big piece and since IE8 doesn't support it, usage is still very rare in websites.

Aiming at IE8 parity (... or rather the intersection of IE8 and current standards, obviously) feels like a more practical goal if you want to support the web as it is today. An incomplete list of relevant features to get to IE8 parity [2].

Said differently, aiming at IE8 parity can only yield a much much better supported-website-count/effort ratio than passing Acid3.

David

[1] http://infrequently.org/2010/10/ie-8-is-the-new-ie-6/
[2] http://caniuse.com/#compare=ie+8